Monday 20 March 2017

Crochet shrug

Hello there. After a short while, today  I am really excited to share about  my crochet shrug I finally done with. Shrug, if it is a straight forward stitch is quite easy to make. Straight forward, by the term, I mean is just following a stitch pattern and not a motif based. I don't know if there is such a term, however, for easy reference or understanding, I use it here. Motif based, according to me takes some time to finish off, though we get the hang of it, the weaving part or joining part consumes my time. I am not sure of others, its my take here. 

So, this shrug is for a friend of mine in London. I have intimated her about this and asked her if she can model it. She just giggled, maybe shy (I am not forcing her, if she willingly sends some snaps for my blog, then I shall post it). I had seen her a couple of years ago and had talked to her over phone since then. So I have her image in my mind and based on that I crocheted this shrug. Fingers crossed, this will fit her. 

If you want to read about this story of shrug - there is nothing much behind it (heheheh). Its because this was in my mind to try ever since I made my first crochet top for one of my friends. This shrug was an idea to wear it for the spring. Its a lovely yellow colour. 

Its an acrylic yarn that I bought from hobbycraft. Though it mentioned DK acrylic yarn and a hook size 4.5mm, I felt it to be too thin, like a fingering yarn or so. However, I used the hook size 4.5mm itself. Although in my mind it was for shrug, I didn't want to take a chance of jumping directly into any pattern and start making it. I studied a lot to understand how to make a shrug, different tutorials I researched on how it was made. Oh my, I did study about shrug making. The stitch is a simple V stitch. I designed my own pattern altering the regular V stitch pattern to fit to my pattern. I also learnt that there are more types of V patterns. I then marked to understand it for later. But for the time, I designed my pwn simple V stitch pattern. And you know what. My efforts didn't go waste. My first attempt to a shrug was so beautiful. (Guess what, I am marked to make a tutorial too with this pattern.). I later then added my favourite scalloped edging pattern to this that added to its beauty. 


Crochet Shrug
Shrug Back 

Crochet Shrug
Shrug Front 

Isn't this shrug beautiful? What do you say??  You might be thinking - does this shrug took such a long time for me to finish?? Then you got me wrong there. It didnt. However, I am a person who would like to keep my hands busy on multiple things at a time (I do record what I am doing - otherwise will forget, I admit). Why I attempt multiple things is that I get bored sticking to same thing for a long time or for a stipulated time. Watching the same colour for some time tires me. So to overcome it, I switch to multiple projects. 

Having said that, I have attempted few more projects in parallel like silk thread jewellery, loom knitting etc. So in short, what I come to say is, I have some more to BLOG. Yay... Also I haven't forgotten about the covers for tins that I promised for my kids. As a part of it, I have collected tins / cans  of various sizes, cleaned and dried it so that once I have crocheted covers for it, kids can use it to store their stationery items - sketch pens, pencils, scissors etc in separate tins - sort of organised. My little one s trying to copy what she sees in her brother's class. Also she is a lady of organizing things around at home that her brothers lay around. So if I crochet for those tins,she can tidy it up appropriately. 

Please tune to my blog, there are more coming in, but I am sad that I don't see any responses. Come on and send your thoughts too as I love to hear from you about your views and thoughts. I know there are people who like reading my blog. I am also the same. Whenever I get time, I too browse for other blogs to get inspired. If any of my readers do blog, please do link your blog here, so that I can visit your page. By the way, I am not just a lover of crochet. I love gardening too. I like to have my own kitchen garden. Back in my hometown, I have my own organic mango tree in my house which I had planted some 15 yrs ago. Its now bearing very tasty yummy mangoes. The mango tree is called Vellayani maavu in malayalam. So for those who love to see its picture, here I am sharing.

Vellayani Maavu (Mango tree)
I am a great lover of this variety of mango. Its tastes so divine. There had been a time in my childhood days, when my father used to buy a big basket of ripe and unripe mangoes for Rs.200 and just 2 or 3 mangoes for Rs.200. Also there had been times when he came empty handed not to afford buying it. So I swore that if I get a chance to eat any vellayani mango, I will plant it in my home so that at least my kids can enjoy it when it grows bigger because mango trees take years to bear fruits. i was so sure by that time I would have been married and moved out of the place. I took great care in bringing it up along with  my father. We haven't used any chemicals or fertilizers, just organic waste from the kitchen and water. My father is no more, but he also gets a chance to taste it when we perform his annual rites. Now my mom, brother and his family takes care of it. Ohhh, I miss it very much whenever he sends the photos of the mangoes and teases me saying that he had two of them for food or his kids took some pieces of it while running around etc. I am waiting for my chance to have it, also my kids too. Shall post more pics of it when I get it. 

Oh oh, its been a long post today, started from crocheting and ended up in mangoes. But I believe, it hasn't been boring to you. Its Kala now signing off until my next post. Happy crocheting and stay blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment