Sunday 5 February 2017

Hridayakamalam kolam patterned crochet summer top

I wanted to design my own pattern for my little one which was in mind for quite a long time and I succeeded in that. So this post is all about the dress I dared to attempt.
 
As such this dress doesn't follow anyone else's pattern. Just its an attempt to copy my mom's one of the kolam designs she draws in the pooja room. If I am correct, the kolam design is called hridayakamalam. I love that design and tried to replicate that. It is drawn connecting dots. I am not used to that one, so can't explain fully. 
 
To start with the project, I got a new set of Laura knitting cotton yarn from India (cotton is my favourite fibre), so wanted to do something on it of my own. I felt it would be good to make a summery dress as cotton suits well in the summer season. First I thought of making it for myself , but felt if the  yarn collection is not sufficient for me then it will be an utter waste of time and yarn. So decided to make one for my daughter. 
 
I designed in a paper the model I wanted to crochet for my little one. I noted down the  required measurements of my gal. I am not a professional, so in this case I may have committed mistakes , but I am not aware of it where it has happened. I made one motif in that kolam design and decided how many motifs to go across and down to get the full structure of the dress. I made required number of motifs for that dress and used join as you go (JAYGO) technique to connect each motifs as I created. However, in crochet, I used slip stitches for that dots.
  
I made 12 big motifs as the main and 6 small motifs (which I reduced the rounds) to fill in the holes formed by the big motifs after joining them together. I used a 6mm hook, had only chains and slip stitches.it is in the form of front and back panels.
 
The final outcome is as in the picture. I felt in love with my work. and when my little one was wearing it, it gave proper shape too as I desired. One mistake I think I made, that very obvious to me after she wore this was it was tight when she wore on top of a full sleeves. since summer doesn't calls for full sleeves, it is not a problem. So I had to remove it and asked her to wear this on top of a sleeveless camisole type, but she wanted to wear it like this. I didn't want to spoil the mood as I was keen to take a couple of good pictures, and luckily she posed very well too. May be I had listened to her wearing it like this, she was happy to pose, I don't know, but I got what I wanted from her. Thankful to her.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




 
 
 
 
My gal is tall and skinny, so this dress fell off from her shoulders. So I made a long chain and used it as a bow which interconnected the front and back panels. So I can use it or not depending upon the comfort of the dress. I liked that idea and to my surprise, it worked out well too. I didn't add any extra touch to the dress as it was so pretty on its own. Generally, I love dresses having a layer of small border along the neck line and hem line or at the arm line, but I just left at the motif end design itself.
 
However, I realized one thing. Handmade stuff is really a tough job to do, let it be any art, anything, it  is absolutely hard. For me, like this type of crocheting or knitting a dress using motifs or plain type, I think is not an easy stuff , I should say, or may be I lack expertise in the dress designing, I feel so, I am not sure. but, for me, it was difficult. Still, it has given me the urge to explore new patterns and try out new varieties in it. I have planned to start with something easy stuffs and then jump to complicated ones. I gained confidence in this area too, at least for self purpose I can try in the beginning.
 
Hope you liked this post. As always, suggestions are welcome. See you in the next post, until then its bye from Kala. Happy crocheting and have a lovely week ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment